Living with IBS-D

IBS-D changes the way you live

It wasn't that long ago, maybe 4-5 years, that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I'd always known something wasn't right with me, there would be times that my skin felt like it was on fire and that anything touching my skin like clothing, made it almost intolerable. I've felt this since I was maybe 15 or 16 years old. (My mom likely had the same thing, as she also complained of this.)

If you don't know Fibromyalgia is, the Mayo Clinic says: 

"Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals.

While there is no cure for Fibromyalgia, a variety of medications can help control symptoms. Exercise, relaxation and stress-reduction measures also may help."

I take medication that really helps the nerves not misfire and make my skin feel like it's on fire. I haven't had those symptoms in a while, which I am sooo thankful for.

Then to complicate matters, I developed IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with diaherria) probably 11-12 years ago. I dealt with it as best as I could and went on with my life. I just learned that when my tummy cramped a certain way, I had to get to the bathroom quickly.

5-1/2 years ago, it became worse. When I got those cramps, I had to get to a bathroom or restroom NOW. There was no way to hold it for more than a couple of minutes. I learned though that if I didn't eat in the morning and drank very little, it wouldn't hit me until after I ate around 11:00 am or 12:00pm. (I was able to fly to Michigan 3 years ago this coming September to my girlfriend's place and then back home again without incident near the end of October.)

I was so embarrassed when it hit me while my girlfriend, her husband and I were out and about. I had to know where every restroom was in whatever places we went to, whether it was a restuarant, an outdoor event, a store, the movie theatre...etc. Just-in-case.

That hasn't changed now since I have been back home. It's fact, gotten even worse in the last few days. Now, I'm dealing with nausea part of the day along with half-living in the bathroom daily. Seriously. (Luckily we have a 1-1/2 bathroom apartment.) 

Have I seen my doctor? Yes. My old doctor put me on a couple different medications trying to stop the diaherria, neither worked. My new doctor has also had me try another medication (no--it didn't work) as well as see a gastrologist. I had a double colonoscopy a year ago, meaning I had one two days in a row to remove polyps. At least no cancer!

But I wasn't happy with that gastrologist and will be seeing a new one next month. I have to do something. Living like this is crazy. 

I have depression and have since I was a little girl. Can you imagine what it does to me having this condition? Let's just say I am very quick to tears far too often.

I want to be able to go for a walk in nature. I want to go to a store and not have to visit the restroom 1-2-3 times while I am there. I want to be able to go for long rides and not worry where the next restroom might be or when the next exit is coming up. 

I want to live without stomach cramps that take my breath away. I want to live without tears from having to turn down activities with my family. I want to not have to be a homebody for days and days at a time.

Is that so much to ask for?


Thanks for reading.

Deb




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Coloring Pages (Printable)

Adult Coloring pages: Seasonal: Winter/Christmas