The Port-A-Potty

Many years ago, when I was a beginning school bus driver, all of the drivers and bus monitors had to go to a required state training that took place up in Sodus, NY in order to licensed.  (The irony here was that we rode with others from different school districts on a school bus!)

The day was bright and sunny but still cool enough that we had to wear either sweaters or jackets, as most of the training took place out doors.  There was a bit of a breeze but as the day progressed, I was able to take off the lacy white sweater that I had wore. 

For a while, I carried the sweater draped over my arm, but after a bit it seemed tedious to have to carry that way, so I decided to throw it over the top of my purse and carry it that way.  (I didn't want to take it back to the bus as it was clear across the compound...and to do so would have also taken me away from the training sessions.)

It ended up being a pretty long day and when we were getting ready to board the buses for our journey home, we all took our turn at the port-a-potties.  When it was my turn, I went in, turned around to lock the door, and whoosh...my pretty white sweater fell into the toilet!  I was heart-broken and didn't know what to do, but I knew I was NOT going to attempt to retrieve it...yuck!  I did what I had to do...and left.

On the way home, someone noticed that I didn't have my sweater and asked if I had forgotten it.  Now, embarrassed, I explained that no...I hadn't left it...I'd lost it IN the port-a-potty.  Everyone within ear shot just roared with laughter and I couldn't help but laugh too! 

One of my friends, thought for a moment and said something to the fact that when the person came to pump the port-a-potty out, the sweater probably would plug the hose. More laughter ensued, and continued when I replied that he would be shocked to see it was a woman's sweater! 

That was probably my most embarrassing moment...and it took a long, long time before everyone quit ribbing me about it!  I still think about...and miss...that sweater, it was a prized possession from a dear elderly lady that I'd befriended years before.


This is exactly what my sweater looked like, only mine was pure white!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Coloring Pages (Printable)

Adult Coloring pages: Seasonal: Winter/Christmas