In the blink of an eye...

Remainder of Christmas
This time of year really seems to stress everyone out...hurrying to buy gifts, making sure that all the groceries are bought for that perfect Christmas meal; the wrapping of gifts and decorating the tree and the house...it's no wonder that people get depressed or have bouts of anxiety. I know I do. For me, the pressure builds and builds...as I have said before, I always want to do more for my kids and grandchildren, yet I also know that there is only so much that my finances allow. 

I really thought this holiday season would bog me down mentally and emotionally since this is the first year that I have not celebrated Thanksgiving or Christmas with at least one of my kids and their children. However, I was surprised that I wasn't...I was sad and did miss not being with them when they got up Christmas morning to open their presents, but it wasn't as bad as I had feared it would be.

It always amazes me though that we all got through this business of getting all hyped-up, stressed-out, and depressed because of the anticipation of Christmas, then within 20 or 30 minutes, after the last gift is open, the day is essentially over...save for the meals and the company that may come or the traveling one may have to do.

I sat writing to my son this morning and stated the same...but also wondered how this holiday has become so commercialized that I had to ask him how many people still celebrate the day as it was meant to be. 

A kind of sadness enveloped me because I can remember the days when Christmas was the celebration of Jesus' birth...and not just a day to get presents for no reason in particular. Although I am not religious per se, I was raised in a religious household, so know the importance that this holiday is supposed to mean. And I do still link the holiday to the true meaning of Christmas. 

So Christmas has come and gone in a blink of an eye ...and now we look forward to the first of a new year. 

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas (I did!) and may 2012 be a better year for us all!


Thanks for reading!

 

Comments

  1. This year Christmas was different than any other I have ever had. I wasn't sure how it would end up being but found that I had a great relaxing time and loved it. I am thinking that maybe I will do the same thing next year Lord willing.
    Glad yours was a happy time also.
    Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours was nice too, Deb! Family-stress-free for a change! Quiet & lovely - just how I've been wishing our Christmas could be for many, many years! John even turned down an invitation to be with his own family just so we could enjoy the day together. We lazed about, opened presents, made blueberry pancakes, then went to see a great movie, "We Bought a Zoo", then home to eat the turkey breast we'd popped into the oven before leaving, mashed poatoes & gravy, veggies & cookies. John got yesterday off too so we enjoyed another wonderful day! Went to Panera Bread, saw the new Mission Impossible movie & then went to a Mexican restaurant. A good holiday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad, Laura...that you had a nice Christmas too! It was sure different but not at all in a bad way! 8 )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Coloring Pages (Printable)

Adult Coloring pages: Seasonal: Winter/Christmas