The Church Foundation didn't Shudder

The Chapel in the Glen, Watkins Glen, NY
Today I went to church...for the first time in nearly 36 years.  My daughter has been nearly begging me for a couple of years to go and I always declined, feeling that I would be the very kind of hypocrite I despise: being a non-Christian acting like I was a Christian.  It's just wrong to pretend to be someone you are not, you know?

A little history:

I come from parents who were of two different religions:  Protestant and Catholic.  My mom felt it was necessary as I went through my childhood to know and understand both religions, so that when the time came, I could chose the religion that was right for me.  On Tuesdays, I went to a Baptist church school for an hour or so in the afternoon as a time-release from my regular schooling.  Then, on Saturdays, I went to a Catholic church school for a couple of hours in the morning.  At about age 8, I received my first communion.


After my mom died when I was 16, church became the thing of the past...part of it was confusion between what I believed and being angry at God for taking my mother and my best friend.


Over the years that followed, I decided that it was very hard for me to have faith in something that I couldn't see truly existed.  I had an even harder time reconciling issues between religion and science...they didn't (in my mind) fit together in any way.  

I admit that I am one of those who needs 'proof' of things...yet here I am, a person who believes in ghosts and paranormal activity!  And yes--I have witnessed these things...I've seen a few ghosts in my time and have been in the midst of paranormal activity, as well.

I can't call myself an atheist...as I believe in evil.  I've heard it said that if you believe in evil, then you have to believe in the God...yet I can't say that I do.

So today, when I stepped through the church doors, I feared that the church foundation would shudder...yet it didn't.  The sermon, given by Rev. Fletcher Brothers was interesting and the folks that sang various songs throughout the service were exceptional.  

Although I did go to church today, I can't say that my thinking has changed, but my knowledge did grow...and I can't say it wasn't an enjoyable morning!  8 )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Coloring Pages (Printable)

Adult Coloring pages: Seasonal: Winter/Christmas